Winter Harvest Salad Recipe
There’s something magical when earthy root and winter vegetables roast in the oven… the flavors concentrate and the natural sugars caramelize, making them delicious to use as side dishes and salads alongside your main roasts.
Try our winter harvest salad with roasted butternut, beetroot, and turnip on a bed of freekeh and kale, dressed in a balsamic-honey-orange vinaigrette, and topped with salty feta and crunchy pecans.
Winter Harvest Salad
- 1/2 Butternut Squash (500g)
- 3 Beetroots (400g)
- 2 Turnips (325g)
- 3 Rosemary stalks, leaves finely minced
- 1 bunch Kale
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 bunch Parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Freekeh, Quinoa, or Brown Rice
- 1/4 cup Feta Cheese, crumbled
- 1 Pomegranate, seeded
- 1/4 cup pecans, toasted & chopped
- olive oil, salt and pepper
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Orange, zest and juice
- 1 small red onion, finely minced
- salt and pepper
- Prepare the dressing, and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200C, and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Peel the butternut, beetroot, and turnip, and dice into medium size pieces.
- Place the butternut and turnip on one tray, and beetroot on the other (so it doesn’t stain).
- Drizzle each tray with olive oil, rosemary, salt, pepper, and mix well.
- Roast the vegetables in the oven for 45 minutes until softened and slightly charred, then remove and let them cool down completely.
- Meanwhile, wash and cook your grain of choice (freekeh, quinoa, or brown rice), let it cool down completely, and fluff with a fork.
- Prepare the Kale by stripping the leaves from the stem, then roughly chop into bite size pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the Kale, lemon juice, 1 tsp of olive oil, salt and pepper, then massage the Kale with your hands for a minute until the leaves break down slightly and soften.
- To the bowl, add the parsley, grain of choice, roasted vegetables, and gently toss to combine.
- Serve the salad on a large platter, spoon the dressing over, and top with feta cheese, pomegranate seeds, and pecans. Enjoy!